Did you know?...........The Salvation Army began service to the Montclair community in 1891. Since that time, we have responded to the spiritual and physical needs of the community helping providing practical services and assistance to those facing difficult circumstances. 2020 presented many challenges with the onset of COVID-19, which forced us to reinvent how we provide services. Beds had to be closed at Cornerstone Shelter to provide sufficient distancing. We could not operate our Drop in Center program inside of the building because of the Shelter in Place order and we could not invite our guests in for a noon meal, we had to convert the process to "take away". However, we were able to adapt, and continue the tradition of service that began over a century ago. The needs continue as do the challenges. Your support makes a difference in the lives of the people we serve.
Despite the challenges of COVID-19, during October 2019-September 2020 The Salvation Army in Montclair served the community as follows:
· Provided 5,019 nights of safe, clean emergency shelter to individuals and families at Cornerstone House Emergency Shelter.
· Served over 10,000 meals on site pre-COVID and over 7,000 "take away" meals.
· Provided over 4,800 Christmas gifts through our Holiday Toy Shop and Adopt a Family programs.
· Visited individuals in nursing homes during the Christmas holidaay season 2019 and distributed over 2,500 gifts.
· Provided 124 households with utility, rental and mortgage assistance.
· Served Thanksgiving Dinner to 30 individuals in our underground garage, safely distanced and delivered over 1,000 hot meals on Thanksgiving Day.
· Distributed clothing and personal care items to those needing the shower program.
· Provided over 2,445 days of days of Drop In Center services that include case management to assist in securing support services and housing, access to shower and clothing distribution,